Thursday, February 21, 2013

100 Word Song/Master Class: "Baby Monitor"

[Our metal pal Leeroy, who has switched to a different viscosity of oil for the frigid winter months while picking up for his humanoid buddy Lance, who is busier than the condom salesman on Valentine's Day, brings us Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down" for this week's 100 Word Song. In addition to that, Professor Sudden SAM teaches her first Master Class with a line from Julia Glass' "Three Junes", which is the first line of this piece, which a clever combination of both prompts called "Baby Monitor"]











Clever how the cosmos can, in a single portent, be ingratiating yet sadistic. "You can do this," the universe tells you, unctuous and smarmy. "Never mind the time required, the money, the energy, the life force, your complete lack of qualifications, you can handle this. If a teen in Arkansas can handle it, so can you." So you struggle onwards, greeting the 3am crying jags with a forced smile, pretending you are happy to see the tiny person when your every cell screams for sleep. You're tired, and frustrated, and you want to give up, but you won't back down.

10 comments:

  1. This is a great take on both prompts. They combined well. Parenting is always exhausting, but you had it right at the end. We won't back down. Thanks for coming to class this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having spent many sleepless nights with the boy, I liked this a lot. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there done that. Could write a book about it. Perfect description of life with a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly I liked your intro as much as I liked your piece, Professor Sudden indeed. You've got a different type of writing style, I find myself reading faster and faster as I go, I dig it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with Shannon - your intro is well done and funny. But so is your piece. It could be song lyrics - it has that rhythm to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the intro as well...you might want to fix some of those run on sentences though...a bit comma happy my friend ;)

    As for your piece, so true. Been there, done that, still making up the lost sleep of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember those days and thank goodness they're done.
    Great piece fitting both prompts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Night wakings are so hard. I love the words unctuous and smarmy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. absolutely the best use of 100 words I've read this week.
    That first year, almost broke me , but it also made me stronger, weaker and showed me the love and strength I never knew I had.
    Your words were the best illustration.

    (if a teenager in Arkansas can do it..great line!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The beginning was clever as hell. This is really well put together.

    Thank you for writing for 100 word song this week.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.