Friday, October 21, 2005

I keep hearing sniping little remarks about some pharmacists' refusal to dispense Plan B, the morning after pill. And I have to part company with Springer, Franken, and those who have complained about it. While I DO NOT AGREE with the decision to refuse to dispense personally, I do not see how you can force pharmacists to dispense without doing away with the profession as a whole.

Pharmacists owe a duty to their patients-to dispense each prescription accurately and appropriately. The simple fact is that a pro life pharmacist believes there are two patients involved when a prescription is dispensed to a pregnant woman. I don't see how you can dispute that. And if you can legally force a pharmacist to dispense a prescription that they honestly believe will cause a patient harm, then you might as well not have pharmacists at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.