Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Fun Little Game

I may be the last person on Earth to discover this, but I opened up my playlist on
ITunes and discovered that you can sort by running time, as well as by artist and album and title.


I discovered a few interesting things-the shortest "song", at 0:23 is "Her Majesty", a snippet that was on the runout track (the very innermost part of an LP) on The Beatles' Abbey Road. The longest song is the live version of Zeppelin's "Dazed and Confused" from "The Song Remains The Same", at 29:18. The longest song that isn't a live version is Metallica's "Mercyful Fate" at 11:12, followed by the studio version of "In My Time of Dying" by Zeppelin, at 11:05.


Another interesting way to read it is to take a representative time, like 3:05, and see what songs pop up. Ironically, Billy Joel's "The Entertainer" is not on there, which is where I got the time of 3:05.


Elton John, "I'm Still Standing"
Kris Kristofferson, "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight"
The Overture from "The Phantom of the Opera"
Tom Petty, "Listen to Her Heart"
Paul McCartney, "Live and Let Die" (Live)
Van Morrison, "Brown Eyed Girl"
Jimi Hendrix, "I Was Made To Love Her"
John Lennon, "Imagine"
Bruce Springsteen, "Two Hearts" (Live)
Johnny Cash, "Oney"


The last song is a good one, a guy's final "Fuck You" to his boss. Johnny Cash was a badass guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.