Friday, February 29, 2008

Gobsmacked

I heard the most amazing thing on the radio Thursday morning.

Listening to a standard NPR report about the Texas presidential primary, a woman was interviewed from a Texas megachurch. Not being born yesterday, I was not shocked that the woman was conservative, but the thing that shocked me was her reason why:

“...as a woman I have great respect for men and for their leadership and the submission of women to men which would come from my foundational beliefs of growing up in the church and a Christian home and that I think a man should lead our country.”

(http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=86994288)

Wow.

I had a few thoughts about this.

1) Wow.

2) I don't think I know a single person, and furthermore, I don't think I have ever met a single person who actually feels that way. I probably have. I have just never heard someone admit it.

3) There is some misogyny in the Bible, to be sure-I'm sure she can find support for her view in there. Fundamentalists always accuse others of picking and choosing from the Bible, though-I sure hope she follows her Bible to the letter, especially the part about not coming in the house when she is menstruating and stuff like that.

4) You have respect for the leadership of men? Really? Well, with the bang up job we've done running the place, it's no wonder.

Wow.

1 comment:

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.