Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Best Game Ever/Too Many Books

I finished Jim Reisler's "The Best Game Ever" today. It is the story of the seventh game of the 1960 World Series, when the Pirates took, lost, retook, and then lost the lead before Bill Mazeroski's ninth inning home run, so far the only game seven walk off in World Series history, won the game and the Series for the Pirates, 10-9. It is a very good read. I found by glancing at the Author's Note something that I did not realize-this is the third book of Reisler's I have read, along with "Before They Were The Bombers", a history of the pre-Ruth Yankees which is the first time the team was owned by criminals, and "Guys, Dolls, and Curveballs", a marvelous collection of Damon Runyon's writings on baseball that he edited.

I am now starting on the spoils of my latest library foray, the Everyman's Library Collection edition of John Updike's Bech books. Naturally, his recent death caused me to think about him quite a bit, and finally getting around to listen to the Slate Book Club's discussion of "Rabbit Run" further inspired me to actually go to my storage closet and dig out my Everyman's Library edition of the Rabbit books.

The Bech stories, so far, are holding my interest. I didn't think I was in a literary frame of mind, but it turns out I may be.

I have way, way too many books, by the way. I have so many books I am paying someone money to keep the rain off of the books that can't fit in this room, which is already stuffed with books. Most of my Vonnegut is there, my Spider Robinson, a lot of SABR books.

Too many books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.