Saturday, June 13, 2009

Miscellany

It's John Nash's birthday. The subject of the film "A Beautiful Mind", which was somewhat loosely based on the biography of the same name, the mathematician won a Nobel Prize and has suffered from schizophrenia throughout his life. The book is terrific. The movie is fine, but I preferred the book.

***

An incomparably lovely blog, and an idea I wish I had first:

prudentadviceformybabydaughter.blogspot.com

Go send her some advice!

***

I really can't overstate the addictiveness of www.fmylife.com. Some of them may be made up, but I guarantee you will feel better about your day after reading some of these stories.

***

I stayed up last night specifically to get my facebook ID (facebook.com/mwebb). In the words of Charlie Brown, now what? I'm not real clear on what the point is here. But I have it. So there.

***

Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Penguins, who won the Stanley Cup last night. Though it will make Dave Dameshek (www.dameshek.com) insufferable for the next several weeks. The Pens had every reason and excuse to just roll over, and I wouldn't have really blamed them if they had, but they didn't. Good for them.

Although, come to think of it, Detroit could have used a celebration, too. Both of those cities have taken economic gut punches recently.

***

2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, I forgot that facebook was giving out IDs today. Splendid!

    Though, I'm in the same boat as you...um, what do I do with it.

    Now, do I register under my NAME or my blog.

    Oh, the decisions of re-birth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Forgive me for getting it right the first time!"-Dennis Miller, on born again Christians.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.