Wednesday, July 08, 2009

The Bedside Table

Just read Joshua Ferris' "Then We Came To The End", a novel that begins in a setting more or less like "The Office", with conniving characters, obsessions about minutiae, and a relatively interesting story.

Then, it suddenly took a turn I did not expect. I had to put the book down at a critical point, and the plot machinations had upset me to the point that I didn't really want to finish. But I was past the point where I can give up on a book, so I resolved to finish it, a little reluctantly.

I polished it off late last night, and found out that the plot turn that I was upset about was not what I had thought it was. It was a disheartening experience-I almost felt cheated, like the author had manipulated me. I'm almost offended about how deeply the book affected me.

Now that I've calmed down, I can more reasonably recommend it. It's a good read, but there is a point-I won't tell you where, but you will know it when you see it-where you really shouldn't stop.

I just started Joshua Cooper Ramo's "The Age of the Unthinkable", a nonfiction book about the unpredictability of the modern world. It is a lot less dry than I thought, ranging from art, to physics, to economics, to video games to help explain why everything is more complicated than you probably think.

Books like this are both comforting and terrifying-comforting because I know I'm not the only person who feels this way, and terrifying because I think the author is right and I am pretty close to being the only person that feels this way.

1 comment:

  1. Like a mouse drawn to peanut butter... I'd be snapped at the neck in the trap!

    Now I've got to read
    "Then We Came To The End".

    I've got to know what ground your machinery to a halt.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.