Thursday, July 30, 2009

You had to know this was coming.....

http://bit.ly/NMXoY


ESPN is reporting that the New York Times is reporting that a lawyer told them that Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

How's that for fourth hand news reporting?

Assuming this is true, which I think it is, I find it a little sad, but not overwhelmingly so.

As I have said before, steroids color this era in baseball. The dead ball colored 1901-1920. The color barrier colored 1876-1947, and arguably another 10 or 20 years after that. It is now, and ever shall be. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. So what you are saying is... it's always something. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thinking of ya....hope all is well for you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Court.

    Indeed, AG. No era of baseball is pristine and pure. All statistics, like all of life, have a context.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is shocking. Just shocking. Well, okay, maybe not shocking. Maybe sort of suprising. Or, not exactly suprising, I guess. Maybe just kind of depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesterday, while on a treadmill in front of the one TV at the Y that was set to ESPN Headline News (I never even knew such a thing existed), I saw about the 2003 drug test results.

    My reaction, as a non-sportsfan, was "Really? Who cares?" I mean, that was 6 years ago. We've had Congressional hearings about drug use since then. I assume we've had drug testing since then. I know we've had athletes murdered, sent to prison, and die since then.

    Did Ortiz test positive yesterday? What about last week? Last month? That would have been news and it would have been news that demanded some sort of action on the part of MLB.

    In my lifetime so far, baseball has been about lockouts, strikes and drug use. Whenever you have something that has this much fame, prestige and money, there is always going to be something that will taint it and some negative to focus on.

    Meanwhile, I've got tickets to see the Twins on Aug 24 vs. the Orioles. I'm taking my kids and we'll all enjoy the game for what it is -- a national pasttime that the whole family can enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.