Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Just so I can stay out of jail...

If blogging does nothing else, which it often does, it at least is getting me free books.

The fine folks at Thomas Nelson Publishing have a program (brb.thomasnelson.com) where they will ship you free books in exchange for reviews on your blog and on Amazon.

The FTC has decided that bloggers now have to disclose the commercial relationships they have with advertisers and companies. I don't think this really applies to me, since, well, frankly, they can have half the money I have earned from this blog if they don't like it.

I was going to disclose the fact that I got the book free anyway-I think it's just the right thing to do. It's a small inducement, but it is an inducement-I was going to buy Nick Hornby's book regardless, but I probably wouldn't have bought either of the free books I got (the detective story I reviewed previously, and this new one, "Peanuts in the Pressbox") unless they were, well, free.

So there's yer disclaimer.

***

"30 for 30" was marvelous last night. "30 for 30" is a documentary series ESPN put together for their 30th anniversary, asking 30 filmmakers to tackle 30 different topics from within the last 30 years. Last night's was about the Baltimore Colts Marching Band, a topic I thought I couldn't care less about, but director Barry Levinson made it really interesting

***

Interesting piece in the New York Times about Bruce Bartlett, former adviser to Presidents Reagan and Bush, arguing, like every other thinking person, that tax cuts do not end recessions.

1 comment:

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.