Friday, December 04, 2009

Don't Know What You Got, Till It's Gone- (#Best09)

I don't have to post every day. I don't have to post any day. Every day, I think I should-there must be something funny, or soulful, or soulfully funny, or funnily soulful, that I can mock or comment upon or agree with or disagree with or argue with or throw my hands up in frustration at. Most days, I do. Some days, I don't. And the Earth just keeps on turning, heedless.

The inescapably marvelous and inexplicably single Katie wrote today about the Best of 2009 Challenge , which is the End of Yeary (and End of Decade-y) thing that the media usually does, assessing and evaluating. What were the Top Ten stories of 2009? Top Ten books, movies, TV shows, plays, actors, writers, golfers, tennis players? Political bloggers will give you the Top Ten Outrageous Things The President Did in 2009, and Basketball bloggers will give you the Top Ten Dunks of 2009. Pause, reflect, look back-because after all, we're about to go buy new calendars.

That's too harsh, really-there's nothing wrong with this trend. I just don't have the patience to try to come up with my ten favorite books from 2009. (That's really the only list I could populate, unless it was Top Ten Things I Said That DMarks Disagreed With or Top Ten Inappropriately Salacious Comments I Left On Katie's Blog.)

This article suggests that social networks, ironically, spread loneliness-that a lonely person, who is bitter or snarky or nasty on a social network to his or her peers will propagate this loneliness to others. Or, as my lovely and deeply patient wife puts it, "misery loves miserable company". This is the reason why I don't spend more time on Facebook, and this is the reason why I don't get more personal on here. I'm sick of scuba diving inside my own head, as Kurt Vonnegut once wrote, and I can't imagine anyone else finding it pleasant.

So this is a roundabout way of getting to the point-Katie's point today is about her lesson-what learning experience or lesson did you learn in 2009 that changed you?

I'll let Tom Keifer of Cinderella explain:



Life is too damn short, and it gets shorter every day. I will miss my father's presence, as much as I couldn't seem to make any time for him while he was here, every single day I am alive.

5 comments:

  1. I learned that we choose what to engrave on our mind’s wall-

    To never take ‘no’ as a final answer;

    To climb mountains instead of crying over lost moments...

    And most importantly,
    That light is greater than darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I will miss my father's presence, as much as I couldn't seem to make any time for him while he was here, every single day I am alive."

    I love the honesty of that, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both.

    And BG-I wish I didn't have to be so honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can barely get myself to sign onto facebook even twice a month.

    And yes, what Blue Girl said. If your list of things we disagreed on allowed for subtraction of things we agreed on, I am not sure there will be a list...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Find what you love. That's never been more important to me than it is now.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.