Saturday, May 29, 2010

100 Traditional Words

The Velvet Verbosity 100 Word Challenge (Now With 100 Words!) is still here, but is due back where it once belonged soon. However, the challenge (write a story in 100 words, centered on or reflecting about a single word, preselected for you) lives on, and this week's word is "Traditional". My entry begins........now:










"The bass thudded and my head started to pound. I watched the children mingle, gathering in groups, then splitting off to form other groups as new children arrived. “Chaperone the dance”, they asked me, and I couldn't say no-I had shirked too many activities already. I had to watch them for-I don't know what, exactly. Anything inappropriate. Everything they did seemed inappropriate-they were too tall, too mature looking, too casual about matters sexual and romantic, too immature to manage the adult bodies nature had given them. They chattered ,the music boomed, and I mourned the loss of traditional dating."

4 comments:

  1. Oh, yeah, me too. These kids have romances on Facebook or Myspace with people they hardly know. And then tomorrow, they break up and it's on to the next one. They don't know what they're missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how this is. With two kids of prime dating age, I don't know if I will survive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want to be the guy yelling "Get off my lawn!", but I have to weep for them a little bit. When it's too late, they will realize there's more to life than that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a fine line they're all walking. They pretend that they know but they're as lossed as we were.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.