Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Shelled

It's 100 Word Challenge Time again. The word is "sanitary", and the title of this one is "Shelled".











I peeled the long, white socks off, and let them fall to the floor. I was raised better than that, but after all these years, it was a habit. Someone was paid to pick them up. My day was over, but the game went on without me. Above me, the crowd roared, then quieted, sounding like the ocean. Another failed outing. I cared whether or not we won-I had been at this too long not to-but I cared distantly, the way I cared about pesticides or terrorism. They call the socks sanitaries-my day had been so short they still were.

5 comments:

  1. Very creative, and unexpected treatment of the theme. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting take on the theme. Good job. and congrats on being pick of the week for the last challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both very much. It was actually the first thing I thought of. (In case anyone didn't follow, the long white socks that baseball players wear underneath the colored ones are called "sanitaries".)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really felt this one in my bones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little League. The only left handed pitcher on the team. And every once in a while ... man, that feeling STILL sucks - all these years later.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.