Saturday, February 19, 2011

Joe Posnanski on books and bookstores

The always marvelous Joe Posnanski , who writes about sports and wrote one of the best books I've ever read about Negro League star and baseball legend Buck O'Neil has a lovely piece up about bookstores, a part of modern life that seems to be fading away, and a part of modern life that I am inordinately, passionately fond of. Read it.




"Connection. That seems to be the thing that books can offer that is a little bit different from anything else ... a way to bridge that gap, a way to cut the space between us. Sometimes when I'm in a bookstore, I will see someone I don't know looking at a book I loved, and I want to run over and shout: "You don't know me but please buy that book! I don't know you, but if you are the kind of person I hope you will love it!"

Of course I don't ever do that. And nobody ever does that to me. Not even the person at the checkout counter."




No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.