Friday, September 09, 2011

100 Word Challenge: Obviously

Velvet Verbosity's 100 Word Challenge is bloody but unbowed after assaults from malware bearing pirates. Arrrrrrr.

This week's word is "Whimsy" and my story is called "Obviously".







"Let's go somewhere," he said to her.

She looked back at him. "What's gotten in to you?" He wasn't prone to flights of whimsy.

"What?"

"What do you mean, go somewhere? Go where?"

"I don't know. Anywhere. Away."

"We can't afford it."

"Not like that. Something close. Local. A play. A movie."

"I hate crowds."

"A picnic."

"I hate bugs. What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing. I just want it to be like it was."

"It can't be like it was. You're not like you were. I'm not like I was."

"Obviously."

8 comments:

  1. Oh burn! There is a lot to be said for spontaneity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the spontaneity. ouch to the end, I was getting all excited to go somewhere to... :) And interesting that we both ended up with all (or mostly all) dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great rhythm here and the ending is perfect. I think I've had this exact conversation with myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, my! burnt both ends of THAT candle. We have to work it for it to work. (we do love our spontaneity in our house - just took a 4 hour RT to Homer for bread - heh) Nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a delight. Very well written dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this. That fact it was mostly dialogue was great. You could easily picture the two sitting there, doing nothing, like they probably almost always do.

    I saw an older couple, set in their ways but the possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw a couple who had been together just long enough...

    Robin

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.