Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Now reading: Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Kind of a techie kind of book-both my Dad and my brother in law have read it. I don't know what made me pick it up, but I did, and it's very good. Cryptology has been a secret interest for a while, ever since reading a Simon Singh book about it. "The Code Book", if memory serves. I only read that after reading his Fermat's Last Theorem book. I don't understand the depths of that stuff, but I have a nerd's semi-interest in this kind of stuff. Extreme intellectual effort of any kind interests me.

Books I want to buy:

Roger Penrose's big Guide to the Universe book
New Einstein biography
A Churchill biography (to go with the FDR one I just finished.)

After this (it's pretty big, so it may take me another week) I think I'm going back to the new Buck O'Neil book.

Glad to read there will be a sequel to "The Traveler". When it comes out, in July, I'll probably have to buy The Traveler to read it again to get caught up. I read it from the library the first time. It's kind of a cyberpunky story, about freedom and tech and shadowy conspiracies.

Listening to: Boston 4 @ Baltimore 1. 8th inning.

Boston's Hideki Okajima used to pitch for the Nippon Ham Fighters, which is a funny name for a baseball team. I learned only recently that it isn't as funny as it seems. The team is owned by Nippon Ham, hence the name. You picture a guy boxing with a pig.

Thinking about:

I don't know. We have to stop the war. It has gone so far beyond pointlessness it's not even funny.

After dropping two to Toronto, we need to beat Baltimore two straight, pretty clearly. New York got rained out, though.

I got to see nephew Simon today. He's 22 days into life, and already seems annoyed. Not really, he just has so many expressions that look that way.

2 comments:

  1. hey, I've wanted to read Cryptonomicon for a while. good thought.

    But next up on the "extreme intellectual" list for me:
    the brand-new I Am a Strange Loop by Douglas Hofstadter (author of the inimitable Godel, Escher, Bach)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have GEB somewhere, but I've never read it. I have a lot of books like that.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.