Monday, August 18, 2008

Trampolining?

I'm sorry, what?

Jumping on a TRAMPOLINE is an Olympic sport? Really? No wonder I don't care about it.

I was thinking earlier today that I didn't note on here that Isaac Hayes, the Mack Daddy of Mack Daddies, passed away last week. Not my cup of tea, but an undeniably great musician.

I recieved in today's mail, and read from cover to cover before work, Nick Hornby's book "31 Songs". I was looking at something, and I saw the book listed, and realized, "Oh my heavens! I missed a Hornby book!"

Then, it turned out, I have read it. I'm not sure where my other copy was, but after reading it, I am now confident I read it before.

I had fun reading it anyway, even so. Nick is always a pleasure to read, although he does depress me with his skill and grace-I am insanely jealous of his skill.

In Baltimore, Boston beat Baltimore 6-3, thanks to everyone's favorite Canadian, Jason Bay, who clouted two circuit blasts. Tampa also won, leaving Boston 4 1/2 games out of first and 1 game up on either Chicago or Minnesota for the wild card.

7 comments:

  1. I thought at first, "Oh, Nick Nornby! He sang the song 'Mandolin Rain'!" But no, I mixed it up and realized it was Bruce Hornsby or something who sang that song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fond of Bruce Hornsby, too-he gave a fascinating interview on "Bob Edwards Weekend" a couple of weeks ago.

    Nick Hornby wrote "About A Boy", which was made into a movie with Hugh Grant, and "High Fidelity", which was made into a movie with John Cusack and Jack Black, and "Fever Pitch", which was made into a very very different movie with Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore. (The book was about soccer, and they made it into a baseball movie. Of course, the baseball movie was about the Red Sox, so it's not like I minded.)

    All his books (including his latest, SLAM, which was marketed as a teen book but is really good in any case) are highly recommended. He is sometimes called the father of "lad lit", which is supposed to be a guy's version of "chick lit". I think both terms are stupid-a book is a book-but the label remains.

    His books are somewhat male in perspective and tone, but they are engaging, and very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trampoline is the most ridiculous thing I have seen this week. last week it was men's synchronized diving...

    I would rather watch pre-season football and my last place(hovering around) Indians than this Olympics garbage. Leave this weird stuff for the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had that happen! I think I am picking up a new book, then partway into it it all starts to seem very familiar....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it the same as "Songbook"? Hmm... I am surprised to learn I've missed a Nick Hornby book too, but have I?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it the same as "Songbook"? Hmm... I am surprised to learn I've missed a Nick Hornby book too, but have I?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what? I have Songbook somewhere, too. I don't know.

    Maybe that's why its so familiar!

    I checked Amazon, and you know what-it is Songbook. The same book.

    Sigh.

    I don't mind, really. I love Nick's work, so I don't mind that I paid twice. But it's a little annoying.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.