Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Inquisition No One Expects

Wow-I am gratified to get so much response. First, from the amazing Miss K (dontcallmekathleen.blogspot.com), the questions and my answers:



"1. What's your favorite part of father-hood? Least favorite?"

When you get beyond the penny ante stuff-the expense, the day to day nagging-the least favorite is by far the responsibility-it is huge, crushing, and omnipresent. Like swine flu.

The favorite part is also, in a way, the same thing-it is nice to be needed, and depended on, and trusted. It's also horrible to be needed, and depended on, and trusting.

"2. If you were asked 25 years ago where you would be today, would you ever think you'd be where you were?"

No, I was relatively certain I would be an attorney or a newspaper reporter.

"3. Where did you get your love for sports from?"

I couldn't say, really. It's kind of like asking you where your sexual preference comes from-you can't imagine being any other way. I can't remember not caring about sports.

"4. Does your wife like sports?"

No. She's not a sports fan, but she follows along well enough to keep up. She hates football, though.

"5. How old are your children? (Do you even have more than one?)"

Just one. To paraphrase Bill Cosby, because we didn't want two. My son is 13.

"6. What are the most powerful lyrics you've ever heard?"

Similar to a lot of those "Top Five" Facebooky questions, you can answer this a lot of different ways. Tomorrow, I will have a completely different answer.

But right at this moment, it is:

"I survived on those long lonely days-
When it seemed I did not have a friend-
Cause all I needed was a little faith-
So I could catch my breath and face the world again-"

Billy Joel, "You're Only Human (Second Wind)"

"7. What's the most embarassing moment you've ever had?"

Lots and lots of candidates here. Right at this moment, I am thinking of my first day in middle school, being told by an older boy that the clothes I was wearing were stupid.

"8. Do you have any "Guilty Pleasure" music artists that you enjoy? (Other than Vanilla Ice)"

Well, Vanilla Ice, obviously.

I have always had an inordinate fondness for Tesla, a very forgettable heavy metal band from the 1980s.

"9. If you could say one thing to someone who has gone from your life for whatever reason, what would you say?"

I would tell her I'm sorry. I would tell her I treated her abominably. I would tell her I can't ever reverse what I did, but I would tell her that whatever pain it caused her, I have regretted it, even if only for a second, every single day since then.

"10. What color is the shirt you're wearing right now?"

Light blue.


More to come...

2 comments:

  1. Oooh... that #9 question was a good one. And Michael, a really good answer too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your response about parenthood.

    I actaully took the LSAT before the student loans scared me away from law. Glad I didn't do it.

    For what it's worth, we've all been mistreated at some point. It's okay to live, learn, forgive, and let go.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.