Wednesday, May 06, 2009

I can't believe I'm really writing about this...

Bill Simmons, "The Sports Guy", wrote the following:



"4. I woke up six minutes into "The Hills" and the Sports Gal refused to change the channel because Audrina slept in Brody Jenner's bed in Hawaii and Brody's Playmate girlfriend was furious about it. These are the moments when Bruce Jenner feels proud for all the sacrifices he made trying to win that Olympic gold medal in 1976. But this led to an awesome moment in Twisted Female Logic when Audrina's friend LC then blamed Brody for not sticking up for Audrina and siding with his girlfriend because it was Brody's fault that he didn't kick Audrina out of his bed because he was in a relationship and Audrina was single, so, really, it was up to HIM to do the right thing. No blame for Audrina for going after someone else's dude? Really, LC? I sided with Brody, the Sports Gal sided with LC, and I'm ashamed to admit we actually argued about this for 20 minutes."



This is a topic that my wife and I have differed on for years. Basically, you have four people, Person A, Person B, Person C, and Person D. A and B are in a relationship. C and D are friends. C seduces B. A is furious with B. B blames C for doing the seducing. D is angry at B because he should have resisted the charms of C.

Women (including my wife and the Sports Gal) seem to blame C more than B-C shouldn't have made a play for B, because C knows B is taken. I disagree. I blame B, and hold C almost blameless. C, being single, is entitled to make a play for anyone. It is B, the one in the relationship, who is responsible for resisting the charms thrown at them.

What say you, Bloggiverse?

7 comments:

  1. If you are in a committed relationship, you are the one who made that commitment. You are the one who will break that commitment. You are responsible. Period.

    So, if my husband was seduced by some woman, I will hold my husband accountable. He always had a choice. He is responsible for the choices he makes. The woman has not made a commitment to me. She has not broken a commitment with me. I can be mad at her all I want. I can despise her even. But my husband would be the one who broke vows and should be held accountable.



    To me, it is illogical to blame the single person. They broke no vows, no commitments, no promises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a very firm position on this. Both are at fault... period.
    If you are committed, then you have an obligation to end the commitment before you start doing anything else. No excuses. If you are single and you are aware that the guy/gal you wish to have your fling with is committed, then you should have enough self respect not to be involved until that person clears the way. Otherwise, you really don't matter to them beyond getting laid. Fool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me add this... It is about repsect and self-respect. Honesty and dishonesty. A fling on the side has none of that for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what I think...my head just exploded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, Court. It is a little complicated.

    Ananda is right, of course-both parties share the blame.

    But I agree with Lapis-the lion's share of the blame pie goes to they who have made the commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say that were that me... the lion's share of my anger would fall on my mate for certain and he better not ever go to sleep again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, one last comment and I'll shut up.

    Lapis-- I hope you did not think that I was calling you a fool. I would never do that. I love a good argument and rarely get insulting with people who don't agree with me.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.