Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Game 125: The Tallest Short Guy

Jon Lester did what Jon Lester does, making Tom Verducci cry by tossing another 6 2/3 fine frames, and Jason Bay cracked his 28th home run of the year to help push Boston to a 6-3 win. Jacoby Ellsbury set a Red Sox team record with his 55th steal, but being the Boston stolen base leader is kind of like being the tallest short guy.

In other news, Boston acquired failed closer and former Astro Billy Wagner, who is best known for blowing games in Philadelphia and New York in recent years. He is coming back from elbow surgery, and could be a useful spare part during the stretch run.

3 comments:

  1. "like being the tallest short guy" hee hee... I like that.

    Yay! I'll take that one for the dance card.

    I've no idea what being a spare part in a stretch run is. I am hoping that is good because "blowing" does not sound good at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I mean to say is, he won't be a closer, which is the role he played in Philadelphia and New York. He will, I think, be useful in getting out pesky left handed hitters in key situations during the pennant chase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh... okay, now I understand. I'm a bit light on the jargon. ;) Thanks for clearing that up Michael.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.