Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Decisions, decisions

Scott Adams, the creator of the cartoon Dilbert is smarter than me, almost certainly richer than me and definitely happier than me. Other than being a cartoonist, Adams is a relentlessly logical thinker and thought provoking author and analyst of business and life. In his blog, he posts a list of questions you should ask before you attempt to make a decision. They are:

  1. What do the experts say you should do?
  2. How much experience do the experts have with this question?
  3. Does the expert have a conflict of interest?
  4. What's the worst thing that could happen?
  5. How easy is it to switch course if you choose wrong?
  6. What information can you find on the Internet?
  7. Who has made this choice before? Were they satisfied?
  8. If I delay, will I learn something more that is useful?
  9. Is there a way to do a limited test?
  10. Does the decision make logical and mathematical sense?
  11. Do the experts make this choice with their own money?
  12. What do the well-informed people in my situation usually do?
  13. What does the competing vendor say about this vendor?
  14. Have I seen all of the alternatives?

This, as usual with Adams, is a fascinating idea. My mother always told me that, when faced with a difficult decision, you should make a list on a piece of paper of the pros and cons, and see how they stack up. At the time, I thought she was crazy-20 plus years later, I am stunned at how right she was. Adams' decision tree is not a guarantee of a good outcome, but it certainly replaces taking a shot in the dark.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list. Good questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made a pro/con list with a friend who was struggling with a difficult decision. Your mom was right!

    I like this list and will keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.