Saturday, October 31, 2009

Last Night, I Had The Strangest Dream

So last night, given my son's sudden interest in the Halloween Dance at his school, I found myself with a couple of hours to kill. So my dear blog amigo Katie (www.katieblogs.com) was having a fundraiser for Run2Inspire(@run2inspire), which is the charity she is involved with. The fundraiser was at Buckhead Saloon in Northern Liberties, which is a place I've never been to in a city (Philadelphia) I'm not deeply familiar with.

Yet I went, which is uncharacteristic of me, found the place, which seemed unlikely, and got back home again, which seemed impossible. I couldn't stay, of course, given that the dance was ending. But I went, and I met Katie in the flesh. Her costume was clever, (Mario, the video game character) and she is as pretty and charming as you probably think she is.

The overwhelming feeling I got from the evening is, if that's how you young folks socialize, you're welcome to it. I was pretty certain of this before, but last night cemented in my mind the fact that I'm never, ever getting divorced-because I can't imagine using the bar scene to meet folks. The words "This is not your scene" should have been written above the doorway for people like me.

So, even though I had to bail before Katie rode the mechanical bull, I managed to support Katie (@katieblogs), demonstrate my opposition to cancer (just like my hero @matthewberrytmr), and got a glimpse of how the other half live (ie normal people with social lives).

So there's that.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for coming out. Totally unexpected yet appreciated. I'll be singing your praises for weeks. JUST SAYIN'.

    Also, it only got worse as the night progressed and alcohol was consumed. I admire your courage for coming into a crowd like that - I know exactly how you felt because often... it's not my crowd either.

    Did I say thanks for coming? Because THANKS FOR COMING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. Just goes to show you the power of the Katie-she can cause the shuttiest of shut ins to emerge blinking into the light.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.