Saturday, April 10, 2010

My letter to Golf Digest magazine

My inquiry boils down to a single sentence: Why do you continue to employ the writer Dan Jenkins?

In my Amazon.com review of Jenkins at the Majors, I detailed his tasteless, racist humor at the expense of golfer TC Chen during a piece about the 1985 US Open.

http://bit.ly/aCerEV

Today, a quarter of a century later, Jenkins wrote the following: "Y.E. Yang is only three shots off the lead. I think we got takeout from him last night."

http://bit.ly/cGZJDQ

Writing old tropes about people of Asian descent was racist in 1985. If anything, it is worse now. It is unacceptable in polite society for anyone, of any age, to voice such sentiments in 2010. The fact that you, a publication which I thought had class and dignity, support and employ such a person is distressing.

Please tell your many readers that you do not support or condone racist speech on the part of any of your writers.

Regretfully,

Michael Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.