Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Some Things Never Change

Velvet Verbosity's One Hundred Word Challenge still lives on, now residing here, at least until VV gets her groove back.

This week's challenge is "behavior", and here's my pebble into the pond.

It's called "Some Things Never Change", and it is lovingly dedicated to @lapiswitch.





“Don't tell me how much it matters, show me!”

Her face was contorted, reddening with emotion and a hint of fear. I looked at her, her perfect, small, bare knees pressed tightly together.

I couldn't think of something to say.

“I know you're busy. I get it. I understand. But if we can't spend any time together, I just don't see...I don't see...I don't see the point in there being an us.”

She opened the door, closed it firmly, and walked away. I watched her walk. I couldn't change, and she couldn't change, and, then, suddenly, we weren't.

7 comments:

  1. Is it just me, or are all you people getting to be so good it's scary?

    This is a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too kind. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... With the overwhelmed-ness of the last few days, that really hit me. Not in a good or bad way, just in that "Aw crap. I've done it again." way. Have I always overscheduled my life this way? I get a ton of motivation and get a ton of stuff done and then the life is just sucked out of me and it's more than I can handle. And the worst part is, I've done it to myself. No one to blame but me.

    Thank you. And it is very good to make such an impact with so few words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot damn. This was no shot-over-the-bow, it was a direct hit.

    Supremely well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your praise very much.

    And Lapis-I know all too well what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent job! There is so much truth and emotion in this. I suspect it is a place most of us have been, so we recognize that hollow feeling in the pit of the stomach that your last paragraph invokes. I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gawrsh. Thank you ever so much.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.