Wednesday, September 01, 2010

The 100 Word Challenge: The Ball In The Street










Velvet Verbosity's 100 Word Challenge, back where it once belonged , managed to go on without me for a whole week. So we're going to take care of that right now, with this week's entry, "The Ball In The Street".








“You’re stupid,” he says.

I know he doesn’t mean it. He is still a bundle of self centered need without any concept of other people. He’s playing with words, with people- seeing how far he can push, what the limits are.

“I don’t love you,” he says.

“That’s OK,” I say sweetly. “I love you.”

He doesn’t register my response. My response doesn’t matter, because his tricks aren’t working on me. My love for him is beyond comprehension, beyond reason. All that matters to me is, when the ball rolls into the street, his fingers seek mine.

10 comments:

  1. Oh this is lovely and sad, Michael. I might steal the idea of the 100 word challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh... this tugged by my mommy heartstrings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. as a father of 3 girls, this touched me like you wouldn't believe. I told my teenage daughter I love you when she went to bed and she said "yeah, ok". Awesome entry. Proud to have read it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all. Alexia, feel free to follow the link to velvetverbosity.com and join in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Independent...until he needs a hand to hold. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a very sweet piece, and captures a moment I remember well.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.