Monday, August 21, 2006

The oddly dressed ESPN field reporter, Bonnie Bernstein, noted during tonight’s game that Johnny Damon says Red Sox Nation “forgot” about what he did in 2004. I don’t think that is true at all. Nobody forgot his role on The Team-I think the ovation he got on his first visit proved that. But he’s a Yankee now-he doesn’t get a pass forever. Becoming a Yankee is the “best career move” you ever made? This from the guy who would “never” be a Yankee? Sorry-that doesn’t fly. We’ll see who thinks what a “great move” this is during the last couple of years of the contract.

Then the rain....grrrrrr. We finally have something good start to happen, with Curt throwing like its 1996 again, and we get the rain. We can’t buy a break. We’re just not good enough, this year, to compete with the Yankees. I have a bad feeling this is 1978 redux-The Massacre II. I think it’s time to start rooting for My Second Favorite Team-Whoever Is Playing The Yankees.

I love baseball players with the high socks. That’s so cool.

Jamie Moyer is traded to the Phillies...wha? If this team is punting the season, and can’t afford to pay anyone.....wha? If they are making a run for it, and want to try to win this year, why on earth do you trade Bobby Abreu? Wha?

I hope Tommy Glavine is going to be okay. Any circulation problem brings up memories of Dennis Boyd. I hope Glavine pulls through. With him down and Pedro, the Mets look decidedly mortal. But seeing El Duque, Orlando Hernandez, tossing his half speed frisbee breaking balls past major league hitters makes me smile.

There’s a Lowe’s commercial that they are showing on ESPN that bugs me. A guy who works at Lowe’s is getting all these questions at work, and then they start asking them at home, at an ice cream truck and when he pulls into his driveway at home. No. NO! When you go home from work, you’re HOME from work. I’m sick and tired of corporations making impossible claims about their employees, while, of course, not compensating them for it or making it possible for them to live up to these claims. People who work with the people are just that, people-no more or less a person than anyone else. Simple human decency requires you treat them as such. I’m really sick of this garbage.

I wonder why the Yankees don’t shift against David Ortiz the way so many other teams do? Perhaps they are just smart enough to realize it doesn’t make very much sense?

There was a 45 minute rain delay, but now they are back playing. Both starting pitchers, Mussina and Schilling, are back out there pitching again, and it remains to be seen who will crack first.

Well, it didn’t remain for very long. Jason Giambi just took Schilling way, way over Williamsburg for a home run. I hate to admit that Joe Morgan is right, but you just can’t keep throwing fastball after fastball to these guys. For heaven’s sake, Curt, throw a damn splitter!

70 pitches for Curt by the fourth-we’re dead.

Joe Torre has a bat with him on the bench-I wonder what its for? 100 years ago, there would be a danger he would put himself in as a pinch hitter. Joe was quite a hitter back in his day.

The possible injury to Youk makes the Hinske acquisition look prescient.

Boy, was I wrong about Curt-7 innings, only a little over the 100 pitch mark. Heroic, at least in a baseball sense. The team desperately needed this kind of effort, and he gave it to them. Wow.

But we still lose. And then lose again, with Wells pitching his heart out.

Damn Yankees.

I wonder what Bill Hicks would think about George W. Bush?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.