Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Ascent of Man

October 28, 2007
Now listening:
Led Zeppelin, “Carouselambra”
Interesting they are pushing a new Zeppelin release on TV, which, according to ITunes and everything I have been able to find out, is just another album of remasters. Which is fine, I just don’t see any need to buy it, though.
I still don’t have the How The West Was Won CDs, though. I will probably buy them on ITunes someday soon.

Someone asked me if I was going to be out of work for “a couple of weeks” following my surgery. I laughed so hard I choked. I’m uncomfortable as hell, but I’m functional, so I’m here.

We won game 3, in fairly convincing fashion. They trimmed it to 6-5, but we pulled away late again. Game four tonight. They may beat Lester, but I don’t think a 2004-esque comeback is in order. They’ll talk tough, but it ain’t gonna happen.

Now listening: Elton John/Leonard Cohen, “Born To Lose”
I wonder why I bother to take vacation. Everything is either not done or done wrong, so I just have to work twice as hard to catch up. I hate morons.

Now listening: Bruce Springsteen, “Reason to Believe”
I saw this great program the other night. It was hosted by George Martin, and he was talking to Lyle Lovett and BILLY FREAKING JOEL and a bunch of other musicians about the nature of melody. I can’t remember what it was called or what channel it was on, though. It will probably never be on again, now, and it will be one of those things I tell people about that they never really understand because they weren’t there and they don’t understand how good it was.

Now listening: Queen Latifah, “When You’re Good to Mama” (from Chicago)
I wonder if I’m going to be able to sell my wife on a trip to Cleveland this summer. That’s where the SABR Convention 2008 will be.
I’m thinking no.
I work all frakking year, and I can’t take a week to go hang out with baseball geeks.
No, you got married, you stupid shit. What the hell are you thinking?

Now listening: Billy Joel, “Highway 61 Revisited”
Great version, BTW.
I didn’t play nearly as much as I wanted during my vacations. I read four books, I guess, all together-The Battle, about Waterloo, Kevin Smith’s new blog postings book, Scott Adams’ blog postings book, and another Dilbert book. The last one doesn’t really count, though.
Now I have to work every day this week.
You can never get a fatal stroke when you really need one.
Sigh.

Now listening: REM, “The Ascent of Man”.
“Oh, I see. It’s my fault that you can’t read. I’m so sorry.”

Now listening: Guns N Roses, “Used to Love Her”
I’m starting to think about people having children the way I think about skydiving. If you’re brave enough, good for you.
A little ironic now that I’m out of that game forever.

Now listening: John Lennon, “Nobody Told Me”
This is a good sign, I think-one full day of work, and I’m already thinking about suicide again. Terrific. That vacation thing sure helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.