Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Oye Como Va

BP is saying it's done, while ESPN, for once, doesn't seem to be going that far.

Getting Santana and keeping Ellsbury is a huge win for us, at least partially because it keeps him out of New York. It may just be me, but it seems like New York is becoming a little like Philadelphia, or like Boston used to be-perhaps the atmosphere is so toxic that you can't pay some people enough to go there?

I'm surprised the Tigers paid so little to get Willis AND Cabrera. There are questions with both players-heck, there are questions with every player, aren't there?-but I think it's a great deal for Detroit.

I don't think we have to defend ourselves against charges of overspending. I don't think we get people just to get people, the way the Yankees did back in the day, a la "Bronx is Burning". (I loved the series, although many others seemed not to.) The famous scene in the beginning comes when Martin brings up that he wants Grich, and Steinbrenner immediately overrules him and sets his sights on Jackson, seemingly only because he's "REGGIE!". Of course, the move worked, in a way-Jackson, in a way, was so good that he justified the hype.

And, as we always said about George at his Georgest, doesn't every fan want an owner who is completely obsessed with winning?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.