Friday, December 12, 2008

Two Cathedrals

More West Wing this morning, and perhaps my favorite scene ever. President Bartlet's secretary, Mrs. Landingham, has been killed by a drunk driver, and after her funeral service, Bartlet locks the cathedral doors and lectures God. A moving scene, in my opinion, and a fine bit of acting from Martin Sheen.





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FScv89J6rro

"BARTLET [tired] You're a son-of-a-bitch, you know that?

He slowly walks up the center aisle.

BARTLET [tired] She bought her first new car and you hit her with a drunk driver. What,was that supposed to be funny? "You can't conceive, nor can I, the appalling
strangeness of the mercy of God," says Graham Greene. I don't know who's ass he was
kissing there 'cause I think you're just vindictive. What was Josh Lyman? A warning
shot? That was my son. What did I ever do to yours except praise his glory and praise his name? There's a tropical storm that gaining speed and power. They say we haven't
had a storm this bad since you took out the tender ship of mine last year in the north Atlantic last year... 68 crew. Do you know what a tender ship does? Fixes the other ships. Doesn't even carry guns. Floats around and fixes the other ships and delivers the mail. That's all it can do. [angry] Gratias tibi ago, domine. Yes, I lied. It was a sin. [holds out arms] I've committed many sins. Have I displeased you, you feckless thug? 3.8 million new jobs, that wasn't good? Bailed out Mexico, increased foreign trade, 30 million new acres for conservation, put Mendoza on the bench, we're not fighting a war, I've raised three children...

He ascends the stairs to the Inner Sanctuary.

BARTLET [pleading] That's not enough to buy me out of the doghouse? Haec credam a
deo pio? A deo iusto? A deo scito?

He stops at the top of the stairs and extends his arms.

BARTLET Cruciatus in crucem! Tuus in terra servus nuntius fui officium perfeci. [angry] Cruciatus in crucem. [waves dismissively] Eas in crucem!

Bartlet turns away in anger. He descends to the lower sanctuary and lights
a cigarette. He takes a single puff, drops the butt to the floor, and grinds it defiantly with his shoe. He looks back at the altar.

BARTLET [betrayed] You get Hoynes!

Bartlet holds back tears as he walks down the aisle."

(from www.westwingtranscripts.com)

3 comments:

  1. I think my favorite part of that was when he dropped the cig on the floor... That was the ultimate gesture of anger and disdain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever see the episode?

    In a flashback, we see him getting in trouble for smoking a cigarette in chapel at his prep school.

    It was also a reflection of that.

    A long time ago, my preacher told me it was okay to be mad at God-He can take it, and when you're ready, He'll still be there for you. I have found that enormously comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did see the episode. I hated it, but it was one of my favorites... As a lapsed Catholic, I understood the act of defiance. I guess it was no different than the anger I had when I went to St. Patrick's Cathedral. I was supposed to be asking for solace and peace, and instead the prayer was interrupted by me looking up and yelling, "What the hell is wrong with YOU?!" The guilt still follows me, but at the moment I was invincible. I yelled at God in his house. Of course, I'm going to hell.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.