Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Larry Kudlow, Professional Parrot

I checked in on CNBC and saw Larry Kudlow and a female anchor I did not know doing a segment about Barney Frank. Representative Frank had apparently had a meeting with reporters about the legislative agenda he planned to pursue in 2009. After some back and forth with the reporter on the scene, Kudlow snorted "if I may editorialize...how about lowering tax rates?"

Of course, for conservatives like Kudlow, lowering taxes is the solution to everything, including psoriasis and the Yankees' infield defense. But Larry? We tried it your way. It didn't work.

***

(I'm starting to think I should do something like that, to alert my 12 readers to a shift of tone, topic, or mood, so they won't think I'm schizophrenic.)(And yes, I know that schizophrenia is not split personalities, it is the split between the patient and the real world. On second thought, maybe I am schizophrenic.)

***

A woman I had a life threatening crush on in high school recently asked me(on Facebook, which is increasingly looking like a bad idea) how my life was. I didn't say this,(I said something equally full of wiseassery), but what I should have said was this:

My life is basically being an actor in a play that I have never read, in a place I have never been, in a language that I do not speak, with people I have never met before. In other words, my mental life is just basically the following phrases-
What? Who? Me? Now? I dont understand. When? You want to say that? OK. You mean now? Oh, I see. Yes. Really? Huh?-over and over again.

I've used this analogy before, and it's pretty close to the mark. I will continue to use it, I suspect, until someone pries it out of my skull with forceps. I think that Phil (philnugentexperience.blogspot.com) and Miss (butyoucancallmemiss.blogspot.com) will understand what I'm talking about with this analogy better than anyone.

4 comments:

  1. If the chart I saw is true, lowering taxes did (and does) work. Trying to find that chart, but it showed Federal tax revenues going up as a result of lowering tax rates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's called the Laffer curve, I think.

    But it's not working right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the AIG execs are laffing all the way to the bank. Or the spa, as the case may be.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.