Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Jack Wakes Up

Harwood, Seth. "Jack Wakes Up". Random House: New York, 2008.

Wow.

Harwood's Jack Palms is an out of work actor, out of rehab and out of options, when his friend Ralph dragoons him into playing nursemaid over a drug deal. When Ralph turns up dead, Jack finds himself tied into a real life version of his film adventures, with gunplay, romance and derring do aplenty.

Harwood writes strong, confident prose, with vibrant scenes and vivid characters. There is violence and some sex here, but as long as that isn't a big problem for you, "Jack Wakes Up" is well worth your time. A fantastic, very quick read-I picked the book up midafternoon today and finished right after dinner.

I don't know why I don't read more books like these-potboilers like this. I always enjoy them, but they have a kind of sameness to them. I have a feeling, though, that Jack Palms may stick with me for a while. Very well done story, and an enjoyable time.

2 comments:

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.