Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Now, THIS is cool...woman gets contract offer from Chico Outlaws

Thanks to fellow Sox fan @daigofuji, I saw this story about Japanese pitcher Eri Yoshida, who may pitch professionally this year for the Chico Outlaws of the Golden Baseball League, a Western independent league. And who is, oh yeah, an 18 year old woman. The Golden League also used to be the home of the Japanese Samurai Bears, a team which played for one year in the league without a home park. That appealed to me for some reason-there's something very barnstormy about a team like that.

I hope Yoshida signs, and does well. There really isn't any reason why she shouldn't succeed-Yoshida throws a knuckleball, which frankly, you, or I, or Elmo could learn to throw in about 15 minutes. The trick, of course, is to throw it consistently, for strikes- that's why everyone can't do it. But best of luck to her.

1 comment:

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.