Wednesday, May 05, 2010

I'm Not Going To Keep Explaining This To You People...

The 100 Word Challenge-tell a story, based on a single word chosen for you, in exactly 100 words-comes from right here.

The word is "consent".

The title is "The Doctor".

Those don't count as any of the hundred words.

These do:








She looked at me evenly. Her brown eyes, behind cute cat's eye glasses, betrayed nothing.

“I need you to read all that, and sign at the bottom,” she said.

She was pretty, wearing the pink, shapeless clothes they call “scrubs”. I could still see she had a nice body.

I tried to read it. The words swam.

“You don't know if it will work?” I asked.

“No.”

“You don't think it will?”

“No.”

“But you'll learn something? Maybe save someone? Someday?”

“Yes, that's our hope.”

She didn't wear a ring.

I signed.

12 comments:

  1. I like this one... it makes me want to know more about both characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Tell us more! Very sad though :( Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It feels real which is a bit frightening. I hope it's just a story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a sad piece. It makes you feel him grasping at a morsel of hope in what sounds like a hopeless situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very well done....
    Mine is here

    hugs
    shakira

    (<)a href(=)(")(")enter your url here (<)here or whatever you want to write <)/(a)>

    must take out all the brackets and no spaces...I was going to tell you this...email me at roungda@gmail.com if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (<)a href(=)(")enter your url here (")(<)here or whatever you want to write (<)(/)(a)>

    this is the right one...
    all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thinking organ donation...
    I like it...its 100 words describing so much more...direct.
    To post a link on your comment:
    check out this Web Page

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all.

    Yes, it's just a story.

    I was thinking more in terms of an experimental treatment-the sick man knows he's a goner, but perhaps the information obtained can help someone else once he's gone.

    The focal point for me, though, was the end-even if he's sick, he's still thinking like a man, trying to do something to impress a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent piece, Michael - but I count only 92 words. Which makes it even harder to do, naturally.

    Nobody counts words in each and every piece (although, I suppose I should - but I'm a trusting soul) - and the rules are loosely defined, at best - Are you counting contractions as two words? I don't. "I don't" is a two word sentence.

    Even so - counting contractions as two words, I still get less than 100 (97).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enigmatic and appealing. I like how many people used consent forms for their consent, including me! I also like how a man always thinks like a man, even in extremis.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.