Friday, December 10, 2010

100 Word Challenge: Uno

In a recent survey of people I know personally, 98% of Americans believe Velvet Verbosity's 100 Word Challenge is the most important 100 word challenge available online since the dawn of recorded history. The Word This Week is "Wild", and my entry is called, simply, "Uno".









The cards, worn by years of use, were a sort of family tradition. Games of Uno, after dinner, throwing the Skips and Reverses and Draw Fours around, trying to lay down your last card and win. It was simple enough for kids, but adults joined in too. I looked at her, over my cards-my first serious girlfriend, all eager eyes, gorgeous legs, and a soul full of mischief. She slid a bare foot inside my pants cuff, playing a "Wild-Draw Four". I drew the four cards and mock scowled.

"You are wild," I told her.

"Yes, I am," she agreed.

8 comments:

  1. Ahh... young love. This was both sweet and flirtatious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a) I LOVE Uno and played it all the time when we were kids.
    b) what a ballsy girl!

    I like it! brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a better man than me, I would have broken up with her being an UNO card shark...that's serious business...sarcasm

    good job, again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "a soul full of mischief" -- I loved this! Thanks for making me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this - a lot! It helps that my oldest grandson is in the midst of his FIRST girlfriend-ship. :) And, that we love UNO. Thanks for a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved playing uno as a kid and I loved this piece. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must say, Sir Michael, that you always do a stellar job of creating whole landscapes of life with your 100 words.

    Rock on.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.