Monday, January 21, 2013

100 Word Song: "Lunch Date"

(My friend Lance, who is really a friend to all, issues a 100 Word Song challenge this week from a group I had never heard of, Tame Impala, and a song, "Feels Like We Only Go Backwards", of which I was equally unaware but which recalls solo John Lennon for me, a description about which I can only say me gusta.)


She was eating a salad, while I had a sandwich. The cafe was half full with couples like us, pretty women with glasses and men who didn't deserve them. I sipped my beer, trying to make it last, not wishing to fight about ordering a second one.

"Are you happy?," she said.

"Yes," I said. I was.

"You don't think we are growing apart? It feels like we're stagnating. It feels like we only go backwards."

I didn't mind going backwards, I thought. I liked the past. I understood it.

"I don't think so. Do you?"

She didn't say anything.

2 comments:

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.