Wednesday, May 29, 2013

100 Word Song: "After Midnight"




(Everyone's favorite metallic friend Leeroy, and his less logically inclined compadre Lance, offer us Tom Petty, my second favorite Southerner after Lance himself, and his song "Down South", which I had not previously experienced, for this week's 100 Word Song Challenge.)







It was 20 minutes after politeness, deep into the quiet of a sticky night that made sleep impossible. I somehow knew it was him when I heard the knocking.

"Dude," he said softly.

"Laila threw you out?"

"Yeah," he said. He was carrying a small duffel bag with a tan towel looped through the handles.

"You need to crash?"

"Yeah," he said.

I just walked away from the door, leaving him to shut it.

"If you wake the baby..,"

"You'll kick my ass, I know." He locked my front door. "Thanks, man. I owe you."

"Damn right," I said quietly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.