Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sudden Impact

I just had a thought. The Big Three automakers are telling us that it is going to take them 10 years or so to retool their factories to make more fuel efficient cars. If they started doing that when environmentalists were telling them they should do this during the mid 1990s, they’d be done by now.

Of course, the argument was always “that’s not what the market demands.” First of all, if it really takes you 10 years to retool your factories, shouldn’t you be thinking about what the market WILL demand, at least a little bit? And second of all, you don’t have any idea what the market really demands. I think Honda managed to sell a Civic or two during the mid 1990s.

You’ll hear that same argument about TV news-they always say they broadcast garbage because that’s what people want. (For example, at this time tomorrow my local TV affiliate will be “covering” Labor Day Weekend. Labor Day Weekend is not a news event. It’s a weekend. I don’t think they have any idea what people want. I think they could make serious news engaging, if they really tried.

According to my phone, which hasn’t lied to me yet, the Red Sox lost to the Yankees this afternoon, 3-2, scoring in the bottom of the ninth to win it. However, because my phone makes up for its truthfulness by a seeming Internetophobia, I don’t know anything more than that. I press the button on my phone for the Internet, and my phone hems, and haws, and mumbles, then gives me the electronic version of “what’s an Internet?”

This is not horribly tragic, I guess-every win is crucial to keep away from the dogs nipping at our collective heels-but a 2 out of 3 to finish off our Yankee Stadium play feels pretty good. I think this also shows us that Jon Lester is still sharp. The road gets no easier, as we go home to face the White Stockings tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. I agree to this that if people mind their own bussiness and don't interfere in others they will achieve high growth in future prospects.they should concentrate with their own work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The media likes to tell us what we want to hear whether we like it or not. Just a few examples:

    I have not heard people sitting around and talking about the price of gas, we all know what it is. The news likes to continually beat the subject to a bloody pulp.

    I always love how a cat stuck in a pipe or something becomes news. What a great way to fill space and awww.

    Celebrities....need I say more.

    Experts on everything.

    The news has a way of telling (scaring) people about the latest outbreak (3 people) of _______ (fill in whatever disease or bacteria)

    angled views on politics--pick your poison

    sports news is becoming like celebrity news

    I have to go now...the news is running a story on Labor Day weekend here in Cleveland. I forgot we had a holiday in the beginning of September, boy I am glad they told me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You’ll hear that same argument about TV news-they always say they broadcast garbage because that’s what people want."

    It's kind of true: more people want to watch Nancy Graceless rant at Natalie Hollaway's best friends dentist than want to watch some thoughtful documentary or Ken Burns series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just think it begs the question-nobody wants it, so we wont even try. How do they know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh they try alright. PBS, Discovery, TLC, History Channel, and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I disagree, softly.

    I don't think that's the same thing. PBS and History (and, to a lesser degree, Discovery) make history programming for history minded people-people with some education, or at least an interest in history. You and I will watch a documentary on Sherman's March to the Sea-most people wont.

    My argument (which is really an empty one, because they are never, ever going to do this) is that if they poured the same energy, talent and money into producing a one hour docmentary into explaining the federal budget that they pour into making Big Brother 17, they could make a watchable, interesting program that people would tune in to.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.