Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Drinks Are On Me

February 19, 2008


Listened to a fascinating Justice Talking today about policing and crime. Apparently the mayor of Philadelphia is beefing up a stop and frisk program in the city, which is actually a neat analogy to the question about government surveillance of telephone calls and emails.

Part of me channels my Grandma Ruth, who always said that, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about. Check my emails and IMs (and blog) all you want-you’ll find lots of inappropriate remarks and poorly written editorials, but no criminal activity. Similarly, search me today, tomorrow, next week-I won’t have a gun.

Yet another part of me says, wait a second. I am a goddamn American citizen, and that used to mean that, if you’re going to pry into my person, papers, or effects, you need a good reason-and you need to go before a judge and give them that reason before you do it. I have a right to be left alone. If you think I’m doing something wrong, get some evidence and prove it to a judge.

Would that have prevented officials from stopping 9/11? Hell no. Many of the plotters were here on EXPIRED STUDENT VISAS. I hate to sound like the NRA, but how about we prove we can use the powers and laws we already have before we go fishing for another one.

Another big NBA trade-JKidd to the Mavs. Aside from paving the way to an Eastern Conference Finals date between the Pistons and Celtics, this further strengthens the West at the expense of the East. JKidd, Shaq, Timmy, Kobe, Gasol, AK47? Phew, it’s going to be a battle out there.

Curt Schilling’s situation is very interesting. Apparently, some doctors are arguing surgery, and some are not. He is leaning towards surgery, and apparently the Sox doctors are saying he can get by without it. It would be a shame to face a postseason run without the Big Schill, but with Josh Beckett turning into Cy Young Part II when the big lights come on, maybe we don’t need him that much.

I wonder if Schilling makes the HOF if things stay as they are? Postseason heroics are one thing, but Don Larsen isn’t a Hall of Famer. My gut feeling is he doesn’t make it, but I don’t thing it’s a miscarriage of justice if he does. Addie Joss did, after all.

Curt never buys a drink in Boston, that’s for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.