Sunday, February 17, 2008

Take It To The Limit

February 17, 2008

It feels sometimes like I have the reverse Midas touch-everything I touch turns to shit. I’ve had this feeling since I was young. I remember being vaguely ashamed of my family whenever I went anywhere with them. Now I get to inspire those same feelings in my own child. Oh boy.

The last two Car Talk podcasts have failed before completely downloading. That sucks. I can’t really complain, since it’s free, but it still sucks.

The arguing about FISA is really silly. I expect nothing less from the lawless brigands who run this government, so it doesn’t provoke anything more than a sigh, really. But the level of their outright lying are breathtaking, nevertheless.

If FISA expires, nothing changes. Lawful wiretapping can, and will, still continue. Is it so bloody awful to ask a judge and do things the right way? Is it so impossible to ask the government to obey the frickin’ law?

A brilliant Studio 360 this week, “The Lincoln Memorial”. I keep subscribing, week after week, and usually it is stuff I’m not smart enough to understand or just don’t care about. Then they hit one out of the park like this week. Wow. Brilliant. All about the memorial itself, and who Lincoln was, and who he wasn’t, and all the historical and pop culture versions of him.

Being a melancholic, I feel a deep sympathy for Lincoln, how terribly the burdens must have felt with all that death surrounding him. Everything he did was divisive and controversial and difficult, and you get the feeling that he agonized over each decision. He lost a son, too-who knows how much worse that made everything.

I’m playing fantasy baseball again with the members of the BoSox List. I’m lousy at it, partially because I don’t spend enough time on it, and partially because I’m just lousy at it. I’ve already de-Yankified my selections list, so that I won’t find myself rooting for a New York Yankee at any point this year. That’s irrational, but I don’t care.

"All alone at the end of the evening..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.