Sunday, March 16, 2008

All for Leyna

March 16, 2008

According to the Writer’s Almanac, yesterday was the Ides of March, and Andrew Jackson’s birthday. Happy birthday to Old Hickory.

Interesting talk on Globe 10.0, featuring the immortal Charles P. Pierce, about the Yanks-Rays fracas. A Rays rookie crashed into a rookie Yanks catcher, and the catcher is out with a broken wrist. A few days later, Yank Shelley Duncan, who I will now call “Punk Ass”, spiked the starting second baseman for the Rays, Akinori Iwamura. Typical Yankee justice. You take out our fifth string catcher, we take out your starting second baseman.

A larger point is, why do the umpires continue to allow catchers to block the plate? It’s not in the rule book. As Charlie says, if it’s not written down, it’s not a rule.

More trouble in the rotation-according to another Globe 10.0, Wakefield has labrum trouble. So if he can’t go either, we start the year probably DiceK-Clay-Colon-Lester-Tavarez. Can’t say I feel good about that.

Now listening, “Steve McQueen”, Sheryl Crow

Sheryl Crow gets rock and roll like no woman I know of.

The Beatles, “Don’t Pass Me By”

“The Beatles were so high they let Ringo sing a couple of songs.”-Bill Hicks

God, I miss Bill Hicks.

Billy Joel, “All Shook Up”

I watched Billy introduce John Mellencamp at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony on VH1. Mellencamp seemed pretty cool, but Billy seemed really bitter towards the music business. Now, I can understand that, because with the Family Productions mess, he really got violated and lost tens of millions he’ll never see again.

REM, “Crush with Eyeliner”

But at the same time, you can sit there and whine about it, or you can be like REM and adapt to it. I have their next album on preorder, which is like money in their pocket. Why can’t Billy throw out some more live tracks and alternate takes on ITunes? I’d sure as heck buy them. I’ve bought everything he’s ever done, much of it on tape and CD both.

Billy Joel, “You’re My Home”

There’s something indisputably romantic about a broke guy writing a song for his beloved for Valentine’s Day because he can’t afford to buy her anything. This song was from that period for him. Even though it’s almost 40 years old, and certainly 20 since the first time I heard it, it has always meant something to me.

Van Morrison, “Whenever God Shines His Light”

Van The Man. Reportedly a difficult bloke to get along with, but the motherfucker can sing.

Elton John, “Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding”

Elton opened with this when I saw him on Face to Face in 1994. Phenomenal song.

Led Zeppelin, “Over the Hills and Far Away”(Live)

They were on VH1 Classic’s In Concert last Friday night. Sometimes called the ultimate flaccid over the top 1970s supergroup, they could bring the noise when they wanted to.

The Who, “5:15”

Another group that got called a lot of names by punk rockers in the 1970s but could kick ass when necessary.

Chess Broadway Soundtrack, “No Contest”

This will make a great movie someday.

Pavement, “Two States”

I bought this because it was on sale on ITunes. I guess you had to be there, because I don’t get it.

Billy Joel, “All for Leyna(Live)”

I listened to this a lot one summer, nursing a crush on a girl named Shawna. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.