Sunday, October 26, 2008

Genocidal Alcoholic Rugby-Playing Gospel Singers Unite!

I have reconsidered a line of attack I am taking in an ongoing dispute with management. I remember being told that a certain figure tends to react poorly when confronted with ultimatums. I thought about it more, and further reflected that I don’t know anyone who reacts well when confronted with an ultimatum.

On the other hand, I did float my resume at Monster.com.

It is 9 days until the presidential election.

Wisconsin Public Radio’s To The Best Of Our Knowledge (www.ttbook.org) continues to stun me with its brilliance. Even topics that I know nothing about, or think I won’t care about, they manage to make interesting, or at the very least listenable. Alcoholism, rugby, genocide, gospel-it’s all there.

I wonder where “Really?” came from. Not the word, but the one word response-someone (Sarah Palin, say) says something outrageous, or offensive, or mindalteringly stupeifying, and your response is, “Really?” I have heard a lot of standup comics do it. I am afraid it is a pop culture reference that I am just missing due to my ignorance.

Sarah Vowell, on Studio 360 this week, so neatly encapsulates the American paradox-the agony and the ecstasy, the high virtues and the low comedy. That’s what so deeply offended me about Sarah Palin’s notion that Americans are unapologetic.

That’s why they hate us, partially-because we won’t apologize. The Founders were all about criticizing your leaders-“the tree of liberty must be refreshed by the blood of tyrants”. We can embrace the beauty and still try to change what is outrageous. Something can be beautiful and terrible-not everything is black and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.