Saturday, January 03, 2009

Culture Slagfest

I listen to the Slate podcast feed (www.slate.com), at least partially out of habit, but mostly because I enjoy hearing people smarter than me talk about things that I only partially understand.

After the success, I assume, of the Slate Political Gabfest, they introduced a "Cultural Gabfest", which is a similar format-three Slate writers tackle three topics, engaging back and forth in a semi serious, semi snarky way for about 25-30 minutes.

The Culture Gabfest has always bothered me, partially because I am an ignoramus about much of modern culture, and partially just because, like a lot of critics, they assume a very snide, cutting tone towards works they consider unworthy. My ire started with a discussion of "Beautiful Children", a novel which I adored that they ragged on for no discernable reason, but this week's podcast was especially egregious.

They first of all mock Tom Cruise. Now, Tom Cruise has many things about him that are mockable. After crediting him for films like "Magnolia" and "Jerry Maguire", they see "A Few Good Men" as campy and ridiculous, and dismiss it as somehow impossible that Cruise can play his role in the new film "Valkyrie".

I love "A Few Good Men". Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't see how that film fits the definition of "camp". And Tom Cruise's character isn't taking "batting practice" at the beginning of the film, he is hitting balls for his team to practice fielding. You don't have batting practice in slow pitch softball.

They then move on to mock Bruce Springsteen for selling his upcoming greatest hits collection exclusively at Wal Mart. Now, first of all, Bruce Springsteen's fans are no longer just blue collar-but if they are, they shop at Wal Mart because they're broke, not because they're happy about their labor policies. And, as far as I can tell, Wal Mart is one of the few places selling CDs anymore, so if selling them at Wal Mart is what you have to do, then you sell them at Wal Mart.

Then "film critic" Dana Stevens complains about having to make a Top Ten List for 2008. Really? Really? Isn't that pretty much what you DO, for pity's sake?

Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe criticism is all subjective, and I should stop getting antsy about people whose opinions I disagree with. Or maybe Slate's Cultural Gabfest is simply being hosted by a trio of effete snobs.

8 comments:

  1. Outside of a small number of union bosses, few people blue collar or white collar have problems with Walmart's labor policies.

    You are right that it is hard to get CD's elsewhere. I've seen CD store after CD store close, partially due to them providing bad customer service compared to Walmart.

    But anyway, CD sales are going down anyway. After the RIAA started their big music censorship push, I began to avoid CDs altogether. I think I've gotten 2 or 3 in the past few years. Or I guy locally-produced CDs or used ones. The RIAA does not benefit from those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love flipping through the stacks at a big record store-Tower Records and such-and I used to buy plenty there. If you found someone who worked there who was passionate about music, they could really be a great help. But, as you say, those days are gone. The CD era is over.

    Wal Mart? I shop there. Like any other hypocrite, I love their prices but wish they paid their employees better. I'm not sure how to reconcile that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've worked mom-and-pop retail. They pay minimum wage. That's it. That's the way it has been for decades.

    Walmart has these type of jobs, but they start somewhat above minimum wage. I don't see how that looks to be too low.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh...I'm suddenly nostalgic for those days when I would find myself paroosing the cd store for hours...the music loving critic behind the counter was someone who's opinion I actually wanted to hear...not the snobby people who tend to be the experts these days....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've worked mom and pop retail, too, but two decades ago. I was paid more than minimum wage.

    Again, I don't know what to say-I love cheap socks, but I wish the largest retailer in the world weren't so cheap when it comes to health coverage, and so unreasonable when it comes to scheduling.

    I guess, like so many things, I can't have it both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree on the scheduling, but in order to provide more/better health care as a benefit, they'd have to cut wages in order to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't buy it.

    I just don't.

    They are absolutely HUGE-biggest retailer in the world-and they can go to insurers and demand any price they like, pretty much. They could be a Whole Foods type of company-make themselves a desirable place to work.

    They just don't.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.