Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Nick Hornby on Fame

http://nickhornby.campaignserver.co.uk/?p=135

Nick Hornby, a British author I am inordinately fond of, has a new blog post, reflecting on the fact that few authors are really "household names". It's an interesting thought. I know Hornby's name-I'm a fan. But, for all the books he's sold, I think most people wouldn't know his name until they learn that his books were made into the films "About A Boy","High Fidelity" and "Fever Pitch".

It's interesting how many things can be obvious to you, and yet completely mysterious to others. Yet another reason why it's just easier to stay inside my own head.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, if you're going to stay in your head... thanks for letting us in there too.

    I knew his name. But could not have told you the titles of his books. (My librarian's face is red.)

    I am afraid that the days where books were as big or bigger than stage and movies... have gone the way of the buggy makers. Except at my house, where book is still king and hopefully a few other households.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine too, Ananda girl. There are still some avid readers out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This came across my desk today... thought it was interesting enough to share.

    I was reading the article, "Why the Internet Is No Substitute For a Library" http://www.ala.org/ala/alonline/resources/selectedarticles/10reasonswhy.cfm

    Hope you can get there from here.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.