Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Game 119: Cowboy Clay makes a statement

That statement being, "it's my job, dammit. You can have this starting slot when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers." Or words to that effect.

Cowboy Clay Buchholz, being a Cowboy, rode his steel horse all over the empty, lifeless bodies of the Toronto Blue Jays, throwing 6 innings with 6 hits, 1 walk, four strikeouts and one lone run, while his mates rocked Roy Halladay, a figure who was of some interest a couple of weeks ago, and friends for 6 runs on a triple by Jacoby and homers from VMart, the Big Fella, and Our Favorite Canadian.

***

I've been doing a lot of reading. Recent works include "What Would Google Do" by Jeff Jarvis, "The Cluetrain Manifesto" by Locke, Weinberger, Levine, and Searls, "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell, "The Tyranny of Dead Ideas" by Matt Miller, and "The Numerati" by Stephen Baker. I'm not a businessman-I'm not brave enough to start a business. My father always read these sort of books, but he never started a business either. I guess I'm looking for comfort that it's not just me who thinks that the world is utterly screwed up.

***

In England, the Gunners of Arsenal, Nick Hornby's favorite team, are 2-0, with one win in the Champions' League and one in the Premier League. I'm still kind of hazy on all the leagues in European soccer.

They are going to start showing English Premier League and La Liga soccer games live on ESPN, which is something I have argued for for years. Part of the reason why soccer never seems to take off here is that we don't have it within easy reach on US TV, and taking off one of the 500 iterations of Sportscenter and moving it to another network makes a lot of sense. I'm glad ESPN finally agrees with me.

I also bought David Goldblatt's "The Ball Is Round: A Global History of Soccer" today at the discount outlet store where I was buying pants. Like Spongebob, I had destroyed more than my usual number of pants, and I had a sudden need for more. So I have pants, and a new book about soccer. We'll see if my newfound enthusiasm (stoked by rereading Nick Hornby's "Fever Pitch" again) will hold long enough to get me through the book. (It's big.)

3 comments:

  1. Listened to the author of "Tyranny of Dead Ideas" on MPR the other day. It was a really interesting conversation. I really liked his points about sometimes change is drastic and painful and needs to be. Sometimes, we make incremental changes and that is how we grow. And of course, it was all linked back to the current debate on health care reform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay... the destroying your pants like Spongebob made me spit my iced tea all over my keyboard! I just wasn't expecting that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am getting distrustful of Google getting too big. Already, they have done some pretty bad things.

    In the net and search arena, the Microsoft juggernaut seems like such a joke.

    The "Bing" ads are beyond annoying. What is, the 6th time that Microsoft's online presence has had to re-create itself?

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.