Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Monday Mayhem: Advice Corner

The fine folks at Monday Mayhem have posted six questions this morning about giving advice, and I like few things more than that. Be warned that taking advice from me about anything is kind of like getting clock management lessons from Andy Reid, but be that as it may: 





1. What's your best advice to people who auto-play music on their site?

I don't like it. I love music, but it's bothersome when you open up a site and music comes up unbidden. 


2. What is your best advice to someone thinking about getting married?

In all seriousness, it's kind of like having a baby. If you have to think about it, weigh pros and cons, you're not ready. If you HAVE to do it-if you can't stomach the thought of being without them? Then you're ready.
3. What's your best advice for someone wanting to purchase a new phone?


I have had no problems with the IPhone. None. They have a terrible reputation, but I've never had an issue with dropping calls or inability to get a signal.
4. What's your best advice to offer to the younger generation?




Work for yourself. You have the ability, more so than in any time in the past, to make your living by the sweat of your own brow and make yourself rich. Don't work for others. And above all, DO WHAT YOU LOVE. Get excellent at it. Eventually, people who aren't as good as you will pay you to do it.
5. What's your best advice for anyone wanting to buy a car?














Hyundai. I hate to say it-I've been a Ford person for years, but my last two cars have been Hyundais, and they are an order of magnitude better in every way.






6.What's the best advice to give to everyone?

The golden rule-do unto others. It's thousands of years old, but it's the only universally applicable rule I've ever heard. 







4 comments:

  1. Excellent list! I particularly like number four...

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 is a problem with buggy browsers: they should let you disable it easily.

    Worst thing about an Iphone is the power switch situation. Incredibly unintuitive. As I wrote elsewhere, Apple has led the way in unintuitive hardware design.

    Hyundai started out in the pits. Barely above Yugo. Now they are well above average, including above the Big 2 or 3 American makes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DM- I remember telling Hyundai and Yugo jokes back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Agree. How the hell am I supposed to goof off at work when your site is autoplaying music?
    2. Hm, I sort of winged it and it's going okay. (8yrs)
    3. I think that the most telling thing about the iphone is that people who have it keep it in their hand ALL THE TIME. I use it FOR EVERYTHING so I can't put it down. Calculator? iphone. GPS? iphone. Games? iphone. Phone? Iphone. Email? iphone. It's indispensible and worth every penny.
    4. I agree with what you said but if you can find a way to do that in the financial industry more's the better. Those people don't know the value of a dollar.
    5. Also a disenchanted Ford girl. My new Toyota is wonderful - 2 recalls to the contrary.
    6. Learn something valuable every day. Even if it's how NOT to do something!

    Loved this post. Thanks for putting me on your blog roll.
    Love,
    Kit

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.