Saturday, December 26, 2009

Only The Lonely

TTBOOK had another great program this week, this time about loneliness. You can take the UCLA Loneliness scale test here, if you want. I scored a 29.

I've never really had friends as an adult. I know a fair amount of people, but in terms of people I would ask to pick me up at the airport? Other than my wife? None. Not a sausage. This bothers me sometimes. It seems deeply abnormal, but I don't know how to change it. I don't know how to be someone's friend. I don't remember what it feels like.

Ten Songs About Loneliness

1. Roy Orbison, "Only The Lonely"
2. Jackie Wilson, "Lonely Teardrops"
3. Ray Charles, "Lonely Avenue"
4. Paul McCartney, "Lonely Road"
5. Eric Clapton, "Lonely Stranger"
6. The Beatles, "Lonesome Tears In My Eyes"
7. Live, "I, Alone"
8. The Eagles, "The Sad Cafe"
9. Billy Joel, "The Stranger"
10. Pearl Jam, "Alone"

2 comments:

  1. I'd totally pick you up from the airport. That's just how I roll ;)

    Despite how I may appear, I relate to this all-too-well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good list. However, the first one that came to mind was "Eleanor Rigby". Hardly an obscure one. Then I thought of America's "Lonely People"


    After a while, I thought of one that does not have lonely in the title, but is timely for the season and I think it fits: "Auld Lange Syne" (however you spell it) by Dan Fogelberg.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.