Sunday, March 23, 2008

Tom Wolfe

Great talk with novelist Tom Wolfe on the NYT Book Review podcast this week. I was about to skip over it and move onto the next one, but listening to Wolfe stopped me. Sometimes I forget just how much I love his work, because there is so much time between them-so many images are so very vivid from his work.

Bonfire of the Vanities, with the detectives lunging forward when they take a bite of their sandwiches so the innards don't fall on their ties.

The Right Stuff, with the astronaut fracturing ribs while riding a motorcycle (I believe) and then trying to disguise it so he wont be pulled from the flight.

4 comments:

  1. I've read "A Man in Full", "Bonfire of the Vanities". and "From Bauhaus to Our House".

    This last one, if you have not read it, explains why post-war American architecture is so really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Interesting blog, by the way. Always curious, also, about how people find mine)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading.

    Architecture, to me, is something that I know is important, but simply don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again. I've just been blogsurfing, going from link to link.

    Can't recall exactly which one linked to you, though.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.