Sunday, September 21, 2008

Don't Want To Let My Chance Go By...

http://tinyurl.com/4qe75p

A blog post from the aptly named Crooks and Liars about privatizing health care.

As if anything about health care is public now.

I have been waiting to start to comment about the financial disaster that America has become in the last week. I'm not sure why. I guess I'm kind of afraid I'll just start cursing.

But Kurt Vonnegut is dead, and Vonnegut is quite possibly the only man who could explain how it is that we privatize profits and socialize losses. All we heard from these people-ALL we heard-was that we need to get the government off of the backs of private industry, off of the backs of the taxpayer, and let a thousand flowers bloom.

That is all we heard-that was their gospel. We can handle it-the grownups are in charge.

And asset values started to slide downwards, and they rushed onto TV shows-it's going to be fine! We're going to be OK! This is just a brief slide! Things will turn around! We don't need any crazy rules about how to operate! Stop telling us how to do our jobs!

And then the ride stopped.

Now they come with their hands out, expecting us to write a $700 million check to bail them out of the mess that they made. They made it. They had some help from greedy consumers, but they made it. They made it by lying about what they were doing, and lying about what it would cost, and lying and lying and lying.

If I was as incompetent at my job as these people were, I'd be on trial.

Why does individual ability and achievement and responsibility stop mattering in the executive suites?

And they want no Congressional oversight? They get a blank check, and we get a pile of paper?

The thieves. The rotten, stinking, thieving bastards.

They take all the money, and we take all the risk.

Why am I surprised? Why did I think it was going to be any other way? The rich always win. Always.

It's the brazenness that gets me. They're thieves, and they don't even have the decency to be ashamed of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.