Tuesday, January 13, 2009

How do you DO that?

On this week's "Car Talk", they had a call from a woman who had moved from San Francisco to Puerto Rico to open a restaurant. The call wasn't particularly interesting, at least, no more so than usual-but the notion stunned me.

You can do that? Just pick up, and leave, and go to another country, and open a restaurant? I mean, I know people do that sort of thing, but the sheer audacity of it stunned me. The notion of just leaving, up and taking off, and doing something new. Wow. Not being consumed by guilt, or remorse, or fear, or anything else? Just doing it?

Wow.

4 comments:

  1. ahem. You don't need a passport when you cross from Texas into New Mexico. Think about this a bit, and look into the matter, and your objection should vanish completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Puerto Rico is not "another country". I assumed that was part of your point about "audacity".

    Puerto Rico is as American as San Francisco is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. I see.

    I didn't realize-I assumed you needed a passport, like you do going into Canada. Or you did.

    I'm not exactly a world traveler, you see.

    The audacity was just the picking yourself up and setting off part, mostly.

    It's funny how the news keeps telling us how awful things are, and yet, I constantly run into people who are starting new businesses and new ventures. I salute their bravery, because I sure can't do it.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.