Monday, October 26, 2009

CK on Sports

Klosterman also writes about sports a lot, which is one of the reason why Bill Simmons has him on the BS Report often.

CK, from his new book, on football:

"I don't know what I see when I watch football. It must be something insane, because I should not enjoy it as much as I do. I must be seeing something so personal and so universal that understanding this question would tell me everything I need to know about who I am, and maybe I don't want that to happen. But perhaps it's simply this: Football allows the intellectual part of my brain to evolve, but it allows the emotional part to remain unchanged. It has a liberal cerebellum and a reactionary heart. And this is all I want from everything, all the time, always."

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised that the generalizations about football here aren't extended to America in general. I've seen that done elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He covers that earlier in the essay-talks about how football is said to be a metaphor for this, and that, and the other thing. He calls it mostly bunk, noting that football is constantly changing-new strategies evolving, and strategies to counter the other strategies, etc. It (the NFL) tries to say that nothing ever changes, but really, everything does.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.