Saturday, October 10, 2009

In The Glow Of The Night

http://bit.ly/zfAAG
Howard Zinn on Obama and the Door Knocker Prize. (No bell…….Nobel….get it?) Zinn makes me look like Newt Gingrich, but he has a point here. Then again, as Zinn points out, he’s far from the worst person to win it.

***

Pierre Robert told an awesome story on the radio the other day-apparently when Pearl Jam played in Los Angeles, they had Chris Cornell come on stage with them to play Temple of the Dog’s “Hunger Strike”, and Jerry Cantrell from Alice In Chains came out to play “Alive” with them. Coolness.

***

More Pierre love: Friday afternoon, his vinyl pick was Jackson Browne’s “The Pretender”. I forgot what an EXCELLENT song that is. I guess I really do like Jackson Browne, it turns out, since I’m fond of several of them. (That one, “The Load Out/Stay”, and “Take It Easy”, which he wrote.)

***

Listening to the Who’s “I Can’t Explain”, it struck me that the first time I heard this song, it was because the Scorpions did a cover of it. Shows what an ignoramus I was-one of the most significant rock bands in history, and I had never heard one of their biggest hits until a heavy metal band performed it.

***
http://digg.com/d216gcy?t1

An amazing story about a Russian military officer who saved the world in 1983 by ignoring a false alarm coming from Russian early warning systems. He could have started a chain of events that resulted in Russian nuclear attack, which would have, of course, been followed by American response, and killed us all. Mindblowing.

***

Kevin Pollak (kevinpollakschatshow.com) (@kevinpollak) (Lt. Weinberg from “A Few Good Men”), standup comic, actor, and raconteur, is going to have the brilliant and mordantly funny Eddie Izzard (@eddieizzard) on his show tomorrow. It starts at 5 PT Sunday, and I highly recommend it. (The show in general, and this episode in particular.) (Even though it hasn’t, technically, occurred yet, I am confident it will be extraordinary.)

***

Listening to Bob Dylan’s “Unplugged” makes me wonder how much music, and how many books, I owned because I thought I should, instead of actually wanting them? Isn’t life too short to spend it reading and listening to stuff because you think you should?

***

I always get sad listening to the end of Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon”. (“Eclipse”) A long time ago, I went to the museum with a very special person to see the Pink Floyd laser show, and the last song meant it was over.

***

“…And all that is now,
And all that is gone,
And all that’s to come,
And everything under the,
Sun is in tune,
But the sun is eclipsed by,
The Moon.”

-Pink Floyd

***

Isn’t it outrageous that it took Genesis this long to get elected into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? And that Rush still hasn’t been elected? And why the heck don’t they sell recordings of the all star jams at the inductions? I’d buy them.

***

MY WIFE (watching “Dirty Jobs” on the Discovery Channel): “He's castrating a sheep.”

ME: “Like you do.”

***
Another song I forgot was this good:







4 comments:

  1. Wow... lots of good music mentioned here. All worth listening to. Tomorrow this time I'll be on my way home from seeing The Pogues. Awesome. (I know an out of date term.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zinn also puts forth some alternate reality when he talks about Kissinger. North Vietnam expanded its war against South Vietnam by invading Cambodia etc and using them as new bases. This forced Kissinger/etc to follow North Vietnam to its new front.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If invading Cambodia was so necessary, why not just go to Congress and get a declaration of war?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If invading Cambodia was so necessary, why not just go to Congress and get a declaration of war?

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.